Helping You Help Your Favorite Student
Preparing for college is an exciting time for most parents and their child. But paying for it can be a concern. You want to ensure your child gets the best education possible, but you also want to protect them against any unnecessary debt or long-term repayment.
What you can do:
- Start an education savings – if you haven’t already, set up a savings account for your child’s education. Ask about options like a 529 College Savings Plan, a tax-advantaged plan, a Roth IRA, or a Coverdell Education Savings Accounts
- Research financial aid opportunities – parents can help by looking into the wide variety of financial aid available including grants and scholarships, and helping your student apply
- Ask your child to help – summer jobs, paid internships, and your child’s own savings can help you plan for expenses such as books and room and board.
- Join the Wright State Parents Association – a great way to network with other parents, discover scholarships, and lots more.
- Also, your child could check with their employer to see if there are any employee benefits to assist with paying for college.
Wright-Patt Credit Union and Wright State University have lots of help to offer, including many articles you’ll find on this site!
Here is more great info for parents.